How to Become a Mortgage Agent!
Steps in Becoming an Ontario Mortgage Agent
An individual who wishes to become licensed as a mortgage agent in Ontario must:
- be 18 years of age or older,
- be a resident of Canada,
- have a mailing address in Ontario that can receive registered mail (not a post office box),
- be authorized by a Mortgage Brokerage to deal in mortgages,
- work for only one Mortgage Brokerage,
- meet the Mortgage Agent education requirements (below), and
Ontario Mortgage Agent Education Requirements:
To meet the education requirements for a mortgage agent license, you must:
- Successfully complete one of the mortgage agent education programs that have been approved by the Superintendent, FSCO (listed below).
- Apply for a mortgage agent license within two years of successfully completing one of the approved mortgage agent education programs.
Approved Ontario Mortgage Agent Education Programs
The Superintendent has approved the following new mortgage agent education programs for licensing purposes.
Please research these options to see which one is right for you:
- “CAAMP’s Ontario Mortgage Agent Course” provided by the Canadian Association of Accredited Mortgage Professionals (CAAMP)
- The “IMBA Ontario Mortgage Agent Course” provided by the Independent Mortgage Brokers Association of Ontario (IMBA)
- “Mortgage Agent Program” provided by Seneca College and the other community college members of Ontario Learn:
TRANSITIONAL MORTGAGE AGENT COURSES:
If you have successfully completed one of the following transitional courses before July 1, 2008 and apply for a mortgage agent license within two years of completing the course, you will meet the education requirement.
• Independent Mortgage Brokers Association of Ontario (IMBA)
• Canadian Association of Accredited Mortgage Professionals (CAAMP)
Seneca’s FSU 101
Download the Mortgage Agent Qualifying Standards here (Add .pdf of http://www.syndicatemortgages.com/images/magent_qual.pdf )